Game - Colossal Speedway- (Easy prep- but could be done with no prep)
- Construction Paper circles (1 red, 1 Green)
- Paint Stick- Tape the circles to the stick (One on each side)
- Tell children that they will pretend to be race car drivers on a track. They will have to follow the lights to know when to go and when to stop.
- Show children the stick. Remind kids that red means stop and green means go.
- Guide kids to turn a pretend steering wheel.
- Play a game of "Red Light, Green Light"
- Tell kids that God is with them wherever they go.
- Continue playing as long as children are having fun.
- Ask older kids to take turns holding the stick and be the caller
- Give each child a hula hoop to stand in and use as her race car.
- Play this game with partners by adding the swim noodles. Guide two friends to hold onto a swim noodle half as they stop and go.
Partner Toss 'n Scoop
- Scoops made by cutting off the bottom of a plastic jug. (1 per child)- to make milk jug scoop: Cut off the bottom part of an angle, starting below the handle. Discard the bottom and place masking tape along the sharp edges of the top.
- For younger kids give only one partner a plastic "scoop". Hand the other child the foam ball. Children may take turns tossing the ball and catching it with the "scoop"
- Small foam balls (1 for each pair of children)
- Demonstrate with another leader how to toss the ball into the air to a partner who will catch it with the "Scoop"
- Group kids in pairs. hand a foam ball to one child in each pair. Give each child a plastic "scoop"
- Encourage the kids to toss the ball into the air to one another and catch it with their "scoops"
- Praise kids for working together with their friends. Say: "God gives us friends who help us. Thank you God, for friends"
VBS Wild Ride
- Foam noddles cut in half to look like a safety bar on a roller coaster.
- 2 rope or tape roller coaster paths (on the ground for kids to follow)
- Design paths to wind back and forth with loop the loops.
- Form two equal teams. Guide each chld to find a partner on his team. Instruct each team to line up in front of a path.
- Hand a foam noodle half to the first pair of kids in each line. Instruct each pair to hold onto the safey bar (noodle) and race together down the wild ride path.
- Instruct partners to bring the noodles back to the next pair of kids in line. Continue until everyone has had a turn to play.
- Remind kids that Paul's friends helped him escape in a basket. Friends love and help us.
- Make the safety bar look more authentic by wrapping it with black or silver tape.
- Use a rope path for smaller groups
- Additional rope paths for larger groups.